Saturday 15 December 2012

DIY: Glitter Heels

The festive season is in full swing, and the parties have been coming in thick and fast. I was looking for a fun pair of shoes but couldn't really find one that was quite right/budget friendly. I'm a sucker for glittery goodies during the festive season and I was especially inspired by Kate Spade's New York Licorice Too Pumps in Multi Glitter. Super perfect to wear out for dinner or cocktails or even pair it down with a pair of jeans and a fun top for that everyday whimsy. 
But at USD $350 it was a little too steep to splash on out a pair of shoes I'll only be wearing for Christmas. 

I had an old pair of really comfy pumps lying about and it's outer layer was peeling so I thought instead of chucking it out why not cover it in glitter! 

Supplies
Old pair of heels
Masking Tape

Acrylic Paint (any colour)
Multicoloured Glitter (I bought individual packets so I could mix my own)
Any white glue or Mod Podge (I used a mix of Elmer's and Carpenter Glue)
Sponge


1. Masking tape the sides and peel off the outer layer 








2. Prime the surface with acrylic paint.
I had completely forgotten that I had bought these sponge applicator paints from Ikea a while back.  


3. Mix up the white glue and glitter together!



3. Apply glue and glitter mix in even strokes with a sponge. I did mine in sections and applied 3 layers, waiting approx 10-15 minutes for each layer to dry.


3. Leave overnight to dry and peel of masking tape after. 


4. Fill in the side bits with acrylic paint. 


And you are done!





I really love them, the best part about it is it's so comfortable! Because it's an old pair of shoes upcycled I don't have to go through the whole process of breaking into it and suffering painful feet all night long.  

I feel a little bit like Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz when wearing them.

This was a super quick and fun DIY to do. I did it in one night, not counting drying time. The only problem is my room was covered in glitter for days! And I'm still discovering glitter in the oddest places!



FACT!

Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment